Activities for Seniors
Often, as a person ages, they can no longer do the things they love to do, and this can cause a senior to become frustrated and even sad. Therefore, it is important that seniors find new hobbies and interests that they can participate in and enjoy.
St. Bernardine Care Providers located in Victorville, Apple Valley and Hesperia areas in the High Desert area of Southern California encourage seniors to find activities they enjoy such as the following:
- Farmers’ Market
- Senior Centers (are great for getting out of the house and socializing with people your own age)
- Of course, you may need assistance in getting to and at the activities by a family member or friend. It is truly good for your health and a healthy mindset, to get outside, even if you’re just sitting on your patio
- playing a game of cards. Fresh air is Mother Nature’s way of keeping you healthy.
Even if you are receiving Hospice Care through St. Bernardine Care Providers, fresh air can give your mind a good cleaning out. With the sunshine gently beating on your face and maybe a cool breeze blowing through your hair. It’s relaxing and necessary to keep a positive mindset about any situation you may be enduring.
Indoor Activities for Seniors
If the only fresh air you can get is through an open window that’s fine. There are plenty of indoor activities to keep your hands and mind busy. Below is a short list of activities you may enjoy:
- Sewing, knitting, needlepoint or any craft related activity (if you are not limited by arthritis or another condition that affects your ability to freely and easily move your hands and fingers or have good control of them)
- Board or card games (there are several companies that make board games, cards, puzzles, painting sets, etc. for seniors who have trouble seeing or using the hands)
- Puzzles (jigsaw or crossword)
- Paintings (freehand or by number)
- Music (playing or listening)
- Woodworking Projects (bird houses, doll houses)
As you can see, there are plenty of activities for seniors to participate in and the more active their body and mind are the happier they will be.