The flu, also known as influenza, affects numerous hospice and Apple Valley seniors each year. Influenza is an airborne virus that can survive in the warm environment of Apple Valley for hours after the someone infected has coughed or sneezed. For many seniors, taking antibiotics and prescription medications is not an option, so how can you fight the coughing, sneezing and sore throat associated with the flu? Fortunately, there are several natural remedies that can help ease your symptoms and help prevent you from getting the flu.
Natural Ways to Avoid Getting Sick
It is important to keep in mind that seniors are extra vulnerable to getting the flu, especially when they have a weak immune system. Maintaining a strong, healthy immune system is your first defense against getting sick. A few natural remedies to help strengthen your immune system, and possibly fight the flu include:
- Stay hydrated-it is essential that you drink plenty of water, especially during flu season. Drinking water will help your body get rid of the toxins and bacteria that may lead to the flu.
- Eating healthy-eating plenty of fruits and vegetables helps your body get the vitamins and minerals it needs to build a strong immune system. Many fresh fruits and vegetables also contain natural antibiotics, which help you fight the flu bug.
- Exercise-establishing a daily exercise routine will help your overall health and exercise helps your body naturally fight the environmental toxins that often lead to influenza.
- Sunshine-enjoying a daily dose of sunshine is beneficial for both your physical and mental well-being. Sunshine helps your body produce Vitamin C, which is a strong, natural defense against bacteria and viruses.
- Sleep-it is important for you to get plenty of sleep in order for your body to recharge, including your immune system. If you are sleep deprived, it can weaken your immune system, making you more vulnerable to the flu.
One of the most important things you can do to help fight the spread of germs and bacteria, which may lead to the flu, is to wash your hands thoroughly and frequently. If you do get the flu, there are several things you can do to ease your symptoms, such as drinking Echinacea tea to soothe a sore throat, add garlic to your food to help stimulate your immune system and add apple cider vinegar to a glass of water to help kill the virus.